Wednesday 14 March 2012


'Fox-Trotters' is a stop-frame animation, composed on the opening night of 'Blinded Python with Jewelled Eyes', December 2011. In the gallery, I invited members of the private view audience to pose with me, dressed as a male dance partner seeking a partner.  The routine we performed was directed by a series of cut-out paper figures lifted from a 'Learn To Dance' manual, presented in the order of each step. Each step was re-captured with a new partner, reconstructing a dance frame-by-frame. This piece was made as a response to 'Paper Dancers' by Aislinn Ritchie, who animated the cut-outs that I re-used as a routine guide.




All sounds recorded by Thomas Cuthbertson & Ross Oliver, at the Outhouse Sound studio, Lincoln.
All visuals compiled from photos taken in my university studio space, Greestone Building, Lincoln.
Very special thanks to Beckie, Ross and Bradley for your time and support in making this work.




First draft, with sound. A concept I want to explore for my final year degree show.





First draft for an upcoming series of new animations for my final year degree show.



From the pile of drawings left over from the animation below...I made this.





First attempt at free-hand stop-motion animation. I used Adobe Flash to sequence it, and made all the drawings in my studio.